BARBARA CONREY - Goodbye 2020 - Hello 2021

 


Barbara Conrey has had an incredibly successful year with her debut novel, NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE (RedAdeptPublishing). She took some time out to look back at 2020 and ahead to 2021. FYI: Her essay includes a yummy treat.

It’s been a year; I’ll say that.

I could point out the negatives – there are a few, but I want to talk about the positives instead. And not because I’m an optimist. I can get down and dark with the best of them.

So here goes:

My cooking skills have improved dramatically; instead of going out to dinner three nights a week, I don’t. I’ll be honest, if I could, I would, but not at the risk of contracting COVID.

I have plenty of time for writing and reading, Again, because I’m not going out.

I haven’t even had a sniffle. See above. This not going out thing has its advantages.

I’ve filled my car with gas exactly three times this year. Do you see a pattern here?

I haven’t overspent on clothes (I’ll be honest, I love new clothes, and every time I walk into my closet I feel sad (so this not overspending on clothes is both a positive and a negative): all these beautiful clothes with no place to go.)

I’ve embraced the COVID Cleanse. By which I mean, I’ve scoured every corner of my house; I’ve either cleaned it, rearranged it, or thrown it the hell out.

I created a new cookie recipe based on a desire for cookies straight from the oven and an unwillingness to leave the house. I lined up on my counter every ingredient that looked like it could turn into a cookie, and I went for it. The only thing I put back into the cupboard was the bag of Craisins (only because I thought they wouldn’t play nice with caramel chips).

COVID COBBLE COOKIES (cobbled together from ingredients on hand)

1c butter, at room temperature

1c brown sugar (light or dark), packed

½ c granulated sugar

1 large egg, at room temperature

1 large egg yolk, at room temperature

1T vanilla

2 c unbleached flour

1c oats

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp kosher salt or ¾ tsp regular table salt

½ package milk chocolate chips

1 bar of German sweet chocolate, chopped OR 1 Cadbury Milk Chocolate bar

¼ c finely crushed walnuts (or pecans)

½ c caramel bits

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325*. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Beat together butter and sugars until smooth.
  3. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla one at a time beating well after each.
  4. Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and add to butter mixture.
  5. Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, as necessary.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips and chop up the chocolate bar.
  7. Use a large cookie scoop and scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets leaving 1 ½ - 2 “ between cookies.
  8. Bake 16 – 18 minutes until light golden brown with slightly darker edges.
  9. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet 3-4 minutes.
  10. Transfer to cooling racks.

Enjoy the cookies while I talk about what’s ahead.

Hello 2021

We are all looking forward to the new year, but I want to be realistic. The rolling of one number into another most likely will not make all the bad things go away. Some of us might have a harder time accepting that than others.

I want to be realistic. Not optimistic, not pessimistic. We need a vaccine. We need to make sure it works. We need to get everyone vaccinated. All of this sounds reasonable, and I think it is reasonable to expect that the first two things will take time. If I knew how much time I’d shout it from the rooftops, but (in my head), I think it could take at least until we are in the second quarter of 2021.

And then there’s getting everyone vaccinated. If we can’t get everyone on board with wearing masks, I don’t foresee getting everyone vaccinated will be an easy task. So there’s that.

And then there’s the fear. How long will it take for me to believe I can hug someone and not infect them with a disease I may not know I have? Or they infect me? Will I ever be able to hug a friend? I have to tell you, I’m a hugger, and this worries the hell out of me.

How long until I feel comfortable going to a party? Out to dinner? Inviting friends over to my house? I think we (or at least I) will need to work on these fears.

But I hope to be hopeful because, without hope, we are nothing.

 Happy Holidays.

To purchase Barbara's novel. NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE

NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE




Comments

  1. Looking forward to 2021. Hoping things will start to get back to normal. 2020 has definitely been a strange year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m looking forward to when life returns to normalcy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I'LL KILL YOU by Ren DeStefano - Spotlight

INSTAMOM by Chanel Guertin - Review & Giveaway

THE SECRET STEALERS by Jane Healy - Review & Giveaway